To help answer common questions we've put together these Frequently Asked Question answers.
If you have questions not addressed here please email us
- What is kin2kin?
- What makes kin2kin different from other photo and messaging apps?
- Includes under 13 year olds safely. Compliant with the “Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act”. (“COPPA”)
- Connects households, not individuals.
- Minors in the household are managed by the parents.
- Unique network per household. I declare who can see my kids. My brother declares who can see his kids. We are not one big combined group. We can both now add people who will have no access to my household.
- Your family structure is your unique family view. (eg grandparents can see all grandchildren from many households together)
- Who made kin2kin?
- Will I get charged for anything? If not, how do you make a profit?
kin2kin is a photo and messaging app specifically for family. Our purpose is to trigger direct relationships rather than just photo updates.
Photos are organised by who is in the picture, rather than who sent them, and responses are sent to this person in the photo. It’s simple for grandparents, and COPPA compliant for kids under 13. kin2kin is private and free.
kin2kin has a pure focus on family and connecting generations. We aim to make this as simple as possible.
Founded by Hamish McGregor, the team includes Lloyd Weehuizen, Stu Sharpe, Gwilym Griffiths-Jones, Nic Robertson, Prue Kane, Carrie Wallis and Kristi James. We are based in Wanaka, New Zealand. We like visitors!
kin2kin is free to download. We offer a gifting feature that you will be charged for if you choose to use it. You will get charged by your service provider for SMS or data usage.
Installing, signing up and logging in
- How do I update my kin2kin app?
- Select the “Play Store” from your Android home screen
- Tap the 3 line menu in the search bar (top left) to bring up your Play Store menu
- Select “Apps and Games”” then “My Apps & Games”
- From here, you can either update kin2kin only by scrolling down to it and selecting the green update button to the right or update all of your apps by selecting the green UPDATE ALL near the top right
- You will need to accept the conditions in order to update the apps
- Once your apps have been downloaded and updated, it will say INSTALLED next to the app name in this section
- Select “Settings” from your home screen
- Scroll down to the iTunes & App Store line
- Hit the arrow (drill in) and be sure that “Updates” are turned on by swiping the toggle to the right so it appears green*.
- Can I use kin2kin on my mobile, tablet and my computer?
- An iOS app for Apple phones and tablets, which is available on the Apple App Store for iOS 8.1 and later.
- An Android app, which is available via the Google Play Store for Android 4.0.3 and later.
- I'm having trouble logging in to the Google Play Store
- How can my child use kin2kin as themselves and not as me?
- If your child doesn’t have their own device, the parent can log in to a shared family device and switch users to the child by tapping ‘Settings’ in the bottom right of the screen, then select ‘Switch User’. Depending on the permissions you have set for your child, they can view, like and post comments as themselves while using your device.
- If your child has their own device such as an iPod touch or a tablet, the parent can log in to their account and switch user to the child. You can even
set a pin if you’re worried about them being cheeky and switching to someone else in your family ;)
- If your child has their own smart phone, you can invite them using the “Connect Family” function, accessible from the Add button at the bottom of your screen. The child will have to accept your invite and then they will be away on their own independent device.
- I didn't receive a verification code...what do I do now?
- First, check that the number you entered for yourself is correct, including the country code (this is often where people go wrong!)
- It can take a couple of minutes for the text to come through. If it still hasn’t come through, press “Resend verification code”.
- If this still doesn’t work, you will get an automated call from California with your verification code.
- I have a new phone number. How can I access my account?
We recommend that you always have the latest version of kin2kin on your device so that you don’t run into old bugs and are always getting the most out of your kin2kin.
Android apps are updated in the Google Play Store. To update your app, please follow these steps:
iOS apps are updated in your general settings on your Apple device. To update your apps, please follow these steps:
Note: iOS doesn’t allow you to turn on/off updates individually for your apps. Turning on updates here will update all apps.
We currently have:
Don’t worry, it’s a common problem! Go here for help.
We’ve designed kin2kin so that kids can have their own login under the household account.
If you didn’t receive a text verification code something has gone wrong!
If you STILL don’t get a verification code, please do get in touch with us so we can look into your problem further.
Your unique mobile phone number acts as a “username” so to speak. This means that if you try to log in with your new mobile number, we won’t recognise you and you’ll end up setting up a new account…not ideal ;)
If you have set up a custom password on your account, you can log on using the mobile number you set your account up with from any device at any time.
To set a custom password, select ‘Settings’ at bottom right of screen. Then go to Account Settings > Password and follow the prompts. Once you’re in kin2kin you can change the mobile number associated with your account by clicking on the ‘Settings’ button in bottom right of screen. Then go to Account Settings > Mobile and following the prompts.
If you don’t have a custom password and no longer have access to your old mobile phone number, you’ll need to get in touch with us to verify your identity. Once we’ve verified you, we can then apply your new mobile number to your existing account for you.
Getting your family on kin2kin - sending and accepting invites
- Why haven't my family accepted my invites?
- If you can, contact the family member by ringing them to see if they received the invite, maybe they just haven’t had time to use it.
- You can re-invite by clicking the + button (middle of tab bar along the bottom of screen), and selecting “Manage”. Click ‘Invite’ next to the users name. You can check at this time you have used the right mobile phone number and country code.
- I received an invite and signed in, but I can't see my family?
- Find your invite text/sms message and click on the link (make sure you’re connected to the internet!) this should take you through a managed invited user signup process that will automatically connect you to your family
- What if I am missing phone numbers for members of my family?
- What if my family members don't have iPhones?
- kin2kin is available on any internet connected device (tablets, smart phones and computers) through the web browser</ul>
- What if somebody in my family does not have a mobile phone number?
- I’m a grandparent and I want my grandchild’s other set of grandparents to be able to see the photos I’ve taken. How do I do this?
- Go to ‘Settings’ button in the bottom righthand corner
- Click on “Account Settings”
- Scroll down to “Privacy Options”
- Choose “Tagged Connections”
- How do I delete someone?
- If the user is not yet active, simply go the the desired person’s page, choose settings (the little head and shoulders icon at the top right of their page) and then choose “Remove”. Selecting this will prompt a confirmation to disconnect from this account. Once you have disconnected from this person’s account, you can re-add them. Check that all the details are correct before you confirm adding.
- If the person you are attempting to delete has an active account, you will able to remove them in the same way as described above. You will then get an option to either disconnect from the whole household, or block people individually - which means all their posts and comments will be hidden from your feed. It also means that any attempts by this person to reconnect with you will be prevented.
Invites go out via text message. It’s possible that their phone network blocked the message or the number was entered incorrectly. Please follow the following steps:
As links between family members are made through unique mobile phone numbers this is an important part of the family connections process.
Links between family members are made through unique mobile phone numbers, you may have signed up without using your invite link:
kin2kin connects households, if you are connected to one person in a household you will automatically be connected to other people in the household. This means if you don’t have a mobile number for someone, you can get another family member to “Invite” them and you will have the option to connect to them without using a mobile number. If the person you are trying to connect to does not have a mobile phone number we are working on ways to solve this. Stay tuned.
Good news! You don’t need an iPhone or even a smart phone to be able to connect to kin2kin! You do, however, need a valid mobile phone number in order for us to connect you to your family.
kin2kin does rely on at least one family member in your household to have a mobile phone number so that we can efficiently connect you up to your family.
If there is someone else in their household using kin2kin they can try the useful “Switch User” feature. This allows multiple people to use kin2kin under one mobile number.
“Switch User” is accessible from “Settings” - bottom right on the home screen (it looks like 3 horizontal lines).
You can opt to share content of your shared grandkids with them by following the directions listed here:
You can also check the ? when adding a photo of someone outside of your household to confirm who in your network will see that photo.
You can remove a person if you’ve created a duplicate or made a mistake in adding them (i.e added them as the wrong relation, added them as a minor in error, etc.)
Uploading photos, tagging and notifications
- How do I upload a photo or video?
- Who can see photos and videos that I upload?
- What if I upload a photo or video with nobody in it? (i.e. a landscape photo)
- How do push notifications work and can I change them?
Uploading photos is always accessible from the Add button bottom middle of the screen. This will allow you to either take a new photo, or select one from your phone photos. Make sure you are connected to the internet before attempting to upload a photo.
Photos you upload are visible both to people in your family network and to the people in the network of the subject of the photo, but only if they are connected to both of you. Photos in kin2kin are organised by who has been tagged in the photo.
For example, if you upload a photo of your son Jimmy, and tag him, the photo will appear in Jimmy’s “feed” or “folder”. Anybody connected with Jimmy AND YOU will see a notification that a new photo of him exists. If someone is just connected to Jimmy and not to you, they will not see that photo.
If you’re unsure who will be able to see a photo or video you are uploading, click the ? in the top right corner of the ‘Tag people’ page - this will tell you who can see the photo based on who you have tagged in the photo.
kin2kin is specifically designed to share photos of family members…but that doesn’t stop you from posting photos from your experiences! If you like to colour outside the lines…we say go for it!
If you’d like to share a photo with your unique network, simply tag yourself in the photo (kin2kin makes it mandatory that you tag someone so we know where to file it!) and the photo will live in your folder. All photos of you or tagged as you live in your folder.
Push notifications are great for letting you know when family make contact so it’s important to have them turned on.
kin2kin gives you the option to receive them instantly, batched (every 5 minutes) or once daily. You can change this by going to your settings page and selecting “Push notifications”.
If you’d like to change your alert style (i.e. sounds, where to show the alerts, etc) this is done from your phone’s settings, not inside the app.
Let us know if we can help!
- What is the Switch User feature for?
Switch User enables other members of your household to sign in on your device (e.g. your partner or minors), without having to sign you out. This makes it that bit easier for your closest family to quickly check their accounts, without needing their own device or having to remember login details.
The feature also provides parents with direct access to their minor’s accounts, as minor accounts are not fully fledged user accounts, they are sub accounts of their parents.
When switching between accounts, you can protect your own account by setting a PIN, ensuring kids don’t accidentally use as you!
You can find Switch User in the menu in the bottom right hand corner of your home screen under ‘Settings’.
- What does the gift recipient see when they receive a gift in-app?
- Who can I send a gift to?
- How do I buy a gift on kin2kin?
- What is the kin2kin Delivery Guarantee?
- How late is too late to send a gift?!
- Birthdays. If a birthday is loaded in Family Dates, you’ll get handy notifications of the upcoming birthday. You can buy a gift yourself, or contribute to one that another family member has started, right up to midnight the night before that birthday.
- Choose delivery date. For birthdays not loaded in kin2kin, or for another occasion coming up, you can choose the delivery date for the in-app delivery.
- Deliver now. For same day in-app delivery.
- Delivery - how and when will my gift be sent?
- Why do I need to redeem my gift in-app?
- How are shipping addresses handled by kin2kin?
- How do we process the payments for gifts?
- What if my child uses my account to buy a gift?
- Why can’t I buy a gift for someone if they’re not in NZ or Australia?
They will see details of the gift, who sent it to them, and any messages written to them - all delivered via a nifty animation.
You can send a gift to any of your loved ones in your kin2kin network, as long as they live in NZ or Australia 😀
At this stage, we only deliver gifts within NZ/Australia, however hold tight! We’re working on gifts for other countries too. US and the UK are underway. We are also working on the feature of being able to send e-gifts to people outside of your kin2kin network - anyone really!
Select your Add button (+) in the middle bottom of your home page. Select ‘Gifts’. This will take you to our ‘Gift Hub’. From here you can buy a gift, and see what gifts you have sent and received.
We guarantee your gift will get there, or we’ll give you your money back. Click here to see how the kin2kin team stands behind this service.
There are several gift delivery date options in kin2kin, right up until the night before a special day.:
Your gift will be delivered in-app early in the morning on the birthday or chosen date in the timezone of the recipient, and the recipient will receive notification of this.
The physical gift will be shipped once the recipient’s postal address has been confirmed in kin2kin. We use CourierPost to deliver your physical gifts and they usually arrive within 5 business days.
This allows us to confirm your postal address before we ship your gift, ensuring that you receive it safe and sound, and as soon as possible.
Recipients, or their parents, enter their postal address into kin2kin and these are stored, hidden, in our system. They cannot be viewed or changed by any other user.
We use Stripe, a secure third party provider, to process the online payments for gifts purchased in kin2kin.
Stripe exceeds the most stringent industry standards for security. Learn more about the technical details of Stripe’s secure infrastructure.
Security is very important to us. Minors do not have this feature enabled so as long as parents sharing devices with their children be sure to switch user to the child, they won’t be able to purchase gifts. There is an option to enter a pin number here for added security.
Family gifting is a new feature and we are rolling this out country by country starting with New Zealand. At the moment, you have options to buy gift cards and magazine subscriptions in NZ or Australia. Watch this space! We’ll be adding your country soon!
Children, minors and COPPA
- What is COPPA?
While kin2kin is used world wide we have specifically engineered our solution to comply with COPPA as we believe it is a clear and necessary set of rules to ensure child safety.
- How is kin2kin private?
We take privacy very seriously at kin2kin. It was why we invented it in the first place!